A lot of people have asked me how I made my LOTAK mask, and I mean A LOT.  So I’m going to try to explain it as best I can. 

It’s really simple. I alchemized it by combining my rocketboard with a respirator, and AR.

All right, my bullshit isn’t funny, I know that.  I started with some computer paper, masking tape and a pencil.  I made myself a pattern I thought might fit my face. Sort of.  Cut it out, made some adjustments, then I traced it onto a clothing giftbox.  I suppose any lightweight cardboard would work.  I wanted to make sure I used paper because once I had a working paper mask, made out of cardboard and masking tape, I covered the entire outside with paper clay.  

Paper clay is great!  It does shrink when it dries though, but just fill in any cracks with more paper clay and they’re usually fine.  I sanded the paperclay as smooth as I could get it using fine grit sandpaper.  I had to go back several times and build up areas I thought were too thin or that I’d sanded too much.  

Once I had a good sculpted base that I liked, I coated it with a two-part resin mixture.  I used Epsilon from SmoothOn.  It’s sandable and dries extremely hard.  I coated it three times front and back, and sanded the heck out of it in between coats to ensure that the surface was exactly how I wanted it. 

Next, I drilled the holes in the corners for the elastic.

Once this was done, I used filler primer to prime the mask, over which I enameled it with red enamel paint.  I think I applied two or three coats, then painted the detailing with regular acrylic paint.  I did it with a brush because I like the texture, but I suppose you could also make a stencil and spray it.  Once it was completely painted, I clear-coated the whole thing.  

Next, came the glasses.  haha.  Don’t do this at home, kids.  I found a hacksaw blade in the garage and had a piece of clear acrylic.  I cut it out myself, but would recommend unless you are using the proper equipment, have a frame shop cut it out for you.  Some of them don’t even charge for things like that, or if they do, the fee is minimal.  Since I’m lazy, I used a glue-stick to adhere the window tint along the edges and smoothed it out to minimize air bubbles.  I stuck them on with hot glue.  

The dark film in the “muzzle” is a piece of polarizing gel I had, but I bet you could also use window tint for that.  I’m cheap so the kind I got is the kind you stick on with water, nothing else special involved. It was $10 at Walmart. Since it’s not going to stay like that…  glue stick or hot glue.

I used Chicago screws to attach the elastic at the sides.  Make sure when you drill the holes, they’re large enough to accommodate your attachment method.   

While I consider this one of my Sunday (or BS) costumes, it took me several weeks to make this mask because of drying times and sanding in between.  The pictures above are the only ones I have for this project.  I could not find my pattern (probably tossed it) nor any picture of the cardboard construct I used as the base.

I think that’s about it.  Let me know if I need to clarify anything and good luck!